After an extended break due to… err… reasons. Mostly COVID and ongoing global pandemic actually. Our heroes return to sum up 2020 and then give it a firm kick up the arse and out the door. What a year it’s been. This show also features our first guest in the shape of good friend and fellow geek Andrew Bolster, AKA @Bolster on Twitter. Together the gang discuss their pop culture highlights of the year and look forward to what 2021 might hold. If only we’d had more time to stay at home and watch TV this year…
Please contribute your own thoughts to the discussion by emailing email@example.com or using the simple form on the website, you know you want to 😉
Things we reference this time:
- We fell into a Brexit discussion as the show began. Irish passports ahoy!
- This lead into a COVID discussion, because that’s still rumbling on.
- Dan mentioned the unbelievable RyanAir “Jab + go!!!!!” advert that’s been on TV – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAv-Ia_hrU
- Caz is on ALL THE PLATFORMS it seems but wants to know why HBO Max is hiding the good shit away from UK customers. Like Wonder Woman 1984.
- Our heroes discuss Tenet and their disappointment with it.
- This leads onto discussion of The Midnight Sky, the new George Clooney film on Netflix.
- The ever expanding Mandalorian universe is discussed.
- The merits of Star Trek Discovery are also debated
- All the heroes were a bit disappointed with His Dark Materials season 2 ending.
- Caz watched the American version of Utopia and liked it quite a lot.
- Caz also really loved Lovecraft Country, Dan liked it but felt it got weaker as it went on. The last episode particularly.
- In response to Caz’s request for series we felt had good endings this year Bolster raises Watchmen… yes that was in 2020 apparently. I didn’t think so either.
- Caz liked Prodigal Son but also calls it “Sherlock Holmes done badly” so much up your own mind on that one.
- Caz has been watching Blumhouse films this year and quite enjoying them, apart from their reboot of The Craft which she didn’t like.
- She also watched Soul on Disney+. She was disturbed to find out the music is by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
- Carole Fucking Baskin!!! Our heroes reflect on the phenomena that was Tiger King.
- Somehow the Joe Exotic talk veers into political chat and the T word is mentioned.
- Four Seasons Total Landscaping gets an honourable mention of course.
- Dan really enjoyed Truth Seekers and also rattles off a list of other things he watched in 2020 – The Boys season 2, Criminal UK season 2, Doom Patrol season 2, Umbrella Academy season 2, Transformers: War For Cybertron, Better Call Saul season 5, and Picard on Prime Video.
- Caz is looking to the future, by which we mean she is stock piling food and essentials and has gone full tin foil hat on it all. She suspects food shortages in 2021.
- Things to look forward to in 2021 (putting the end of the world to one side for now), Dan is excited to see the new The Suicide Squad film by James Gunn, Caz wants the new James Bond film No Time To Die, and Bolster is waiting on Black Widow.
- Other things to look forward to: Dune, Sherlock Holmes 3 (according to Caz), The Many Saints Of Newark, Matrix 4.
- As a silly note to end on Dan brings up the recent discovery that Octopuses Punch Fish – https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/24/science/octopus-punch-fish.html
We wish you all a Happy New Year and hopefully 2021 will be a lot better than 2020… it won’t have to try that hard.
Right that’s your lot, so as we say in Liverpool… do one will ya! But before you do please remember to send us your thoughts, feelings, complaints, confessions or anything else to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the anonymous form on the website.Now get out of our shop! ….and please come again 😉