It’s episode 31 and after a short break our heroes are back to share what’s been going on in their lives, discuss many geeky pop culture things, then ramble about politics a bit. Plus we have a couple of emails and a wonderful poem we were sent by our newly christened Unattested Poet Laureate.
Please contribute your own thoughts to the discussion by emailing email@example.com or using the simple form on the website, you know you want to 😉
Things we reference this time:
- Our heroes begin by talking about OSFTED because the school Caz works at is expecting an inspection any minute, don’t panic!
- Our heroes have mic stands this time, basically because they were already set up. Dan has been doing some music stuff lately.
- An EP that Dan made many moons ago with his band Kagnee showed up on eBay recently for the princely sum of £3.99 and he tells a story about the making of the artwork.
- We had an email from A Swede… not sure if it’s a vegetable or what but thank you. It gives us loads more information about Stieg Larson, who we discussed on a previous show.
- We also had another totally anonymous email about the same subject. So thank you also to the mystery email, could it be the same person? Yes, it could, but we have no idea.
- Our heroes both watched the trailer for the new James Bond film and have surprised themselves that they might actually be excited about it. Rami Malek looks like an excellent villain.
- Our heroes discuss the gender/race/religion swapping of characters now for the sake of it and whether it works. Dan mentions how Marvel have done it in the comics with Riri Williams as Iron Heart and Amadeus Cho as the new Hulk.
- Caz brings up the female Ghostbusters film which she hated but Dan liked it a lot more.
- This brings us onto the trailer for the new Black Widow film which is upcoming.
- Our heroes discuss The Irishman, the new Martin Scorsese film on Netflix. Caz liked it but Dan wasn’t as impressed, sorry Marty.
- In the wake of this Caz has been watching a lot of gangster films and is curious to know whether the mafia are still around. So she looked into it, like the Samatha Spade expert detective she is.
- Lots of Mafia discussion, Caz wonders if we’d be better off with the old school mafia in charge of the country than the current Government. It’s hard to argue with to be honest.
- Dan mentions the book Donnie Brasco by Joseph Pistone which is a fantastic read and a true account of going undercover in the mafia in the 70s and 80s. Many people know the film but the book is far better. Sorry to use a cliche.
- We have another email, this time from Boris Racked Off with a fantastic poem. We are now naming Boris our Unattested Poet Laureate.
- This leads to a discussion of the ongoing UK general election and what’s happening with the campaigns.
- Dan references his favourite summation of politics in popular culture which comes from South Park “It’s always a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich son, you’re just got to pick one”.
- Dan has been listening to the podcast Dolly Parton’s America from one of the Radio Lab team and highly recommends it as a good listen. Parton For President!
Right that’s your lot, so as we say in Liverpool… do one will ya! But before you do please remember to send us your thoughts, feelings, complaints, confessions or anything else to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the anonymous form on the website.Now get out of our shop! ….and please come again 😉